ROAST PORK BELLY, CARAMELIZED PEAR, FENNEL & WALNUT SAUCE
4 PORTIONS, MAIN COURSE SIZE, DAIRY FREE
Recipe by David Coomer
Suggested Wine Pairing
Chateau Thivin Cote De Brouilly Gamay 2015 available from the Wine Loft
Ingredients for roasted pork belly
1.5kg pork belly, skin on boneless, the Boatshed butchers will score the skin for you - just ask!
3 large fennel bulbs, each one cut into 6 wedges
3 bosc pears, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges with cores removed
4 shallots, peeled and cut into quaters
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
A splash of extra virgin olive oil
2T balsamic vinegar
1T fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Place a good splash of olive oil in a roasting dish, rub pork skin generously with salt, place pork skin side down on tray and roast for 1 hour.
3. Turn over and sprinkle with fennel seeds, roast for another hour turning the oven up to 200 for the last half an hour or until skin is nice and Crisp
4. Rest for 10 minutes before carving.
5. Toss together pear, fennel, shallots, bay, thyme - add a pinch of salt and a twist of pepper
6. Coat with a good splash of olive oil and place into a roasting try.
7. Place in the oven with the pork for the final 30 minutes of its cooking time, carefully stir through balsamic and allow to caramelize.
Ingredients for walnut sauce
1/2 cup of walnuts
2 small cloves of garlic
1 slice sourdough bread, crust removed, soaked in water, squeezed dry
1T lemon juice
A good pinch of ground cumin
50ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Puree all the ingredients adding a little more water if necessary to achieve a creamy consistency - add salt to taste.
Carve pork into thick slices, arrange on a platter, with walnut sauce in a bowl alongside. Arrange pears and fennel in another bowl, sprinkle with toasted walnuts and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Enjoy - DC